Wednesday 17 August 2011

600 - Birthday day, the 'in my twenties' special.

So, I took far too many photos yesterday, and I'm struggling to put them anywhere or to edit them down, so if you know me, the best but (sadly due to the 200 photo rule) not all, are in this album on Facebook, and there is an extended set on Flickr. I'm in New Malden for a couple of days due to my 'agency sign-up' tomorrow, the internet is being so slow and rubbish so that's why I'm writing this so late.


Like I said in my post last night, I had a lovely day. Moon and I have barely seen each other in ages, and after being together for a few days, he went off to Ireland for a week this morning, so it was really good to spend some quality time together doing something nice. I get him practically to myself for a week from the 26th anyway when he joins my family and I on a short holiday to France. He joined us last time we went out there and we had a lot of fun so it will be good to do it again - I'm really hoping that the weather is good for us.

Anyway, enough mindless yammering. Yesterday, after a bit of present-opening (Moon made me wake up at 8:30am!), we drove up to New Malden to park the car and head up to London for the day. We began our day-trip with a visit to the Natural History Museum - Moon had bought me tickets to the Age of the Dinosaurs exhibition. :)

The exhibition itself was interesting, as I like dinosaurs and natural history generally. I will however put a huge downer on the price. Despite the fact that buying the tickets meant that we got 'fast-tracked' into the museum, which was good because the queues were huge, the actual exhibit was only half-an-hour long and not much better than the exhibit that the museum displays for free. The fast-tracking did make up for it though, I'll never understand why it is so busy, I mean I love it but whenever I visited it as a child, I never felt it to be crowded and now it really is. I think it must be because it's free, or just because it's the height of the summer holidays, whatever the reason, I hate all the crowds!



They really need to sort this cat out.








We spent a bit of time walking around the rest of the museum once we'd finished with Age of Dinosaurs and by that time it was definitely lunch time. I decided Brick Lane would be a nice place to go because Moon had never been before and it's his kind of thing. I like looking around, but all the hipsters are a bit much. I think the main reason I wasn't so keen on my last visit was due to the weather, I was much more relaxed this time.
After (what I knew would be) an obligatory trip to Rough Trade we kind of drifted into The Big Chill bar, which I really liked. The food was nice and the atmosphere was even better, I loved the music that they played, it was basically The Boat That Rocked soundtrack, beautiful. Moon and I thought their nachos were really good too, and for those of you that don't know, we're nachos connoisseurs(!)




We look like total gorms in the top-left photo because we didn't have a clue what was going on, we just wanted to be Trendy-Wendy's.





Always thought seeing a 'real Banksy' would be a bit more exciting than that.




As I mentioned in my last post, we had a nose around the vintage shops, if I'd had a bit more cash I would have bought some things, I'd really like to have a poke around again.


Then we went to South Bank and took in the 'Festival of Britain' that's taking place around there. We also went to the National Theatre and saw the Press Photographer of the Year exhibition, we saw some really interesting shots. I really liked Clare Kendall's collaboration with Tessa Farmer, it's so creepy. We were really lame and couldn't find the entrance to the Hayward Gallery to get in to see the Tracey Emin Retrospective, and then when we found it, it was closed, Moon was more than pleased...


















So, after what seemed like years, Moon and I left London and actually managed to get a seat on the way back to New Malden. We had some dinner at the restaurant, as well as cake that my sister kindly bought me - there were cherry tomatoes on it!


It was a bit quiet but it was perfect, it's time to start slowing down anyway isn't it? I should probably start worrying about my wrinkles or something. I am joking, but it is a bit scary that I'm 22, only a bit, but it is.

TL;DR: I went to the Natural History Museum, Brick Lane and various bits of Southbank. It was my 22nd birthday and it was nice.

In other, more recent news there's a lot of buzz around my job hunt at the moment.
How good are these cushions?!

Today I went to Kingston and saw the Inbetweeners movie, it was very good and nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: